Let us custom design a Township experience for your group. We work with a wide range of individuals, small businesses, entrepreneurs, restaurants, choirs, musicians, orphanages and schools in the Townships.
Our philosophy is to create a “Win-Win” tourism model in the Townships. Quite simply, for Township tourism to be sustainable all three groups should benefit:
- Local residents must benefit,
- Visitors must have a great experience and
- The tour facilitators must have viable and sustainable business.
Group Township Tours usually include an introductory tour of the Townships and some of these building blocks:
- Lunch or dinner at a Township restaurant, home or B&B
- Visit to school or crèche (can include a donation)
- African Music Workshop – Interactive Drumming Circle
- Marimba Band
- Traditional Singers
- Gospel Choir
- Dinner and dance to music from local bands
- Xhosa Cultural Experience
Help us to design an appropriate experience by answering these questions:
- How big is your group?
- How much time do you have?
- Do you want an evening or day time experience?
- Select activity from the list above.
Email your enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP-ON TOWNSHIP GUIDES
- Half day (4 hours or part thereof) available on request and subject to guides availability.
- Full Day (8 hours or part thereof) available on request and subject to guides availability.
For walking tours in the Townships, we recommend a maximum group size of 15 guests per guide.
DISCOVERING OUR DIVERSITY TOUR
This tour is well suited to corporate South Africa where many companies are wrestling with transformation and diversity. Our history has separated us, sometimes resulting in a lack or understanding and tolerance of different racial, language and religious groups.
We give practical effect to Diversity by taking visitors and workers into the City and Townships. Along the way we trace the history of the various racial groups in Cape Town, to gain a better understanding of the origins of different language and religion groups.
Sites and themes include:
- Bo-Kaap (or Malay Quarter): Slavery, Islam, Apartheid, Architecture
- Company’s Garden: Dutch and British rule, Colonialism, Diamonds and the Anglo Boer War(also referred to as the South African War), Parliament and our new constitution.
- District Six Museum: Slavery, Forced Removals
- Townships; Pre and Post Apartheid, Unemployment and Black Economic Empowerment, Xenophobia This tour is well suited to form part of corporate diversity and transformation programmes or university social sciences courses.
SAFETY IN THE TOWNSHIPS
Camissa is unable to guarantee safety in the Townships, in the city or even on Table Mountain for that matter! We try to ensure the safety and security of visitors into the Township by:
- Local knowledge i.e. using guides who are Township residents, who are known and recognised in the Townships
- Carefully selecting routes
- Spreading the benefits of tourism into the community
- Keeping small group sizes
Fortunately we have never had a safety or security incident in the Townships, however we cannot guarantee that this record will continue.